Sunday, September 9, 2012

It Is Not Good For Man To Be A Lone...Goose

Yesterday I had a great adventure - I drove to Seattle.  Now this may not sound like much, but I haven't done any city driving since we moved 10 years ago and I drove in New Orleans rush hour traffic to the airport.  I must say that my repertoire of "colorful language" has greatly diminished in that decade. 

So I awoke at 5:30am - and was out the door by 6:15am to catch the 7:15am boat.


View from carport as I was preparing to leave.

Waiting in line for the ferry - hey, why do we still have an IHC parking decal?
(and it's still valid!!)


View from the parking lot. 
The boat was running just a little bit late, but we loaded up, and we were off.  It was a bit chilly (low 50s), so I didn't get too many pictures...because I'm a wimp, and once I was curled up in my blanket I really didn't want to get out of the car!  But, prior to the cocoon stage, I did manage to take a few pictures from the boat.

Looking back at the ferry landing as we make our way to Shaw Island.
Interisland ferry coming in to dock.
Kinda hard to take pictures as we head directly into the sun - and, did I mention
it was cold??
I snuggled up for the rest of the ride (yes, I know, I'm anti-social; sure I could have gone upstairs where it would be warm, but then I'd have to deal with....people).  This particular ferry trip takes about 75 minutes total.

Then after stopping for fuel, I just drove - I'd really like to thank all those drivers on I-5 Saturday morning for driving well; it made all the difference.  So, why was I heading down to the Big City?:  To meet with a potential Spiritual Director. (Thanks for the tip on those "Seattle Dominicans" Fr. P.!!)   The meeting went well - I never do well at first meetings, but I made it through and didn't seem to shock Fr. L. too much :-).  So I got back in the car and headed back up to do some quick shopping (milk is $3/gallon cheaper on the mainland!) and find my way to St. Mary's for Mass.  Beautiful Mass - fantastic men's chant choir, reverent and orthodox pastor, prepared homily, and for once the parishoners were actually almost friendly!  After Mass I headed down to the ferry landing for my return trip on the 7:20pm boat. 

And now for a different perspective:

"Perspective" shot of the Anacortes ferry landing
The boat wasn't full, so I got a "choice" spot (purely by luck). 


Picture from the car of the view front of the ferry boat - when it is full, cars
are parked all the way down the "hill" and right up to the rope.
This boat will hold approximately 144 cars, and 2000 people.
Just some more random shots from the boat (I used our Canon Eos Rebel SLR: I only brought one lens, the 18-55mm, but wished I had brought the others.  Oh well! Next time.).  It has two levels of car-parking on each side with a large section in the middle for trucks and large vehicles. I was so enamored of the water (as usual) that I forgot to turn and take a picture of the inside of the boat. But everything that comes to the island must come by water or air - at least we are ferry served; some islands aren't.



Some of the "traffic" we encounter on our highway home.


Ahh, the road home!

Turning into the sun - I began and ended my day
traveling toward the Light...what more can one ask?

A little cross-traffic.

Feeling artistic.

Not the best sunset shot, but it's what I've got!!
 Most of the evening shots were taken at the bow of the boat, as we were clipping along at about 15 knots.  I had forgotten just how much fun it is to lean into the strong, cold wind, attempting to steady myself against both the wind and the boat's movement while taking a picture.  I was grinning from ear to ear by the time I was done - simple pleasures, I suppose.  And the car sure felt nice and warm by the time I got back into it!

I was home by around 9pm - in bed by 9:30.  Long day, but worth it.  Really. Worth. It.

So I was awake this morning around 5:30am, in the silent pre-dawn hours, and I heard a lone goose fly by the house.  Sounded lonely.  It reminded me of part of the homily I had heard at Mass.  We are not meant to walk the spiritual path alone - we are to have companions with us.  Just as Jesus sent the disciples out two-by-two, just as there were two on the road to Emmaus - we should seek, if necessary, spiritual companions and spiritual directors.  This priest had had a seminarian with him for the summer, and he told a story of how much he enjoyed talking with him throughout the summer.  The day after he left, Father was making breakfast and called out, asking the seminarian if he would like some breakfast, too - he was, of course, met with silence.  This goose, flying alone, looking for his flock brought this to me:  so many of our diocesan priests live alone.  Those who live in community (even if they don't like their community members!), are not "alone" - they always have a brother nearby.  It solves part of a puzzle for me, and has added an extra dimension to the prayers I regularly pray for, what is becoming, a large number of priests.

Hope you enjoyed the trip - no pictures of the "city", but I was trying to get in and out as quickly as possible!!

No comments: