Thursday, March 21, 2013

Two Reactions - Which Is More Vocation Friendly?

My 5-yr. old has been saying for almost a year now that he wants to be a priest.  When he told our pastor this a few weeks ago, Father just laughed and said something to the effect of "well, there's a long way to go before that can happen."  Today, my little extrovert asked when he could go talk to our former, now retired, pastor who had come over for a daily Mass.  I said go ahead and talk to him now.  So he went up to him and said "I want to be a priest."  Leaning down toward my son, Father said (cue Irish accent) "Well, that's great!!  I can't keep doing this forever!" 

Now which do you suppose is more vocation friendly?  Our current pastor does not encourage vocations at all.  One of our parishioner feels called to the diaconate, and I heard him ask Father about this.  Again, all I heard from Father was the "there's a long way to go before that can happen" talk.  He seems to only see the difficulties, and not the beauty; the long road, and not the passion.  I wonder if this has more to say about him than about anything else.  He seems to be a nice man, but we have no encouragement for vocations, no encouragement to go to confession, no discussion on sin or hell or even heaven.  The handful of times our retired Pastor has come over, I think every time he has mentioned confession, today mentioning the fact that God is always willing to give us another chance but there will come a day when we have no more chances - so be ready, and go to confession!  We have heard of the seven deadly sins, the corporal works of mercy, lots of good history, the occasional recitation of Shakespeare - all from this wonderful, old, Irish priest.

And at night when he says his prayers, my son always asks God to bless our retired, Irish Father.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now this post of yours made me want to see "The Bells of St. Mary's" again, which used to be my "Christmas movie" but I've been avoiding lately because it can make me cry my eyes out...the trustful, hopeful Irish priest made me remember Bing Crosby, and your son's resolute precocious priestly pretentions brought to my mind the teenage girl saying "I want to be a nun!" to Ingrid Bergman. God bless your family...!

(...this is my very first blog comment from my already overheated smartphone, and using a 3G connection, at that (that's as flaky as it gets inside my house), so let's see how it turns out...)

Shelly said...

I haven't see "The Bells of St Mary's" since I was very young. Now I'll have to watch it again! Thanks for reminding me.

Comment came through fine - 3G is the best we get out here, E is more common. Cell reception is spotty at best (evil cell phone towers, and all that!).

May God bless you! Easter is right around the corner.

Anonymous said...

Haha...

I only pulled it off after a full hour and a gazillion attempts circling my house searching for a spot where the signal was strong enough to endure the 18 screens required to post a comment.

So at least when I'm home, smartphone-commenting is a big no-no, unless as a last resort. At least I learned that I can't do it using Opera Mini, not even opening the full HTML page with it instead of the "mobile" version it opens by default. I did it with Opera Mobile that opened exactly like on PC but don't work as an RSS aggregator, so eventually I'm gonna try again with the built-in Nokia browser that I had dismissed but will be probably end up using...

Easter is just ahead indeed...may we have a spiritually fruitful Holy Week before it!

Shelly said...

Wow - thanks for making the effort to comment! Out here we have lots of good stories about people trying to get reception. I think my favorite is the person who fell out of a tree because . . . you guessed it! . . . it was the only place they could get a signal to make a phone call.